A Rhode Island native and graduate of the school of hard knocks, Chef Allaire was previously the executive chef at L’epicurio, Tuckers Bistro, and has done some culinary consulting on the side. Today, Chef Alliere is The co-Owner and Founder of Providence Coal Fired Pizza and just recently opened his second restaurant Metacom Kitchen which is his first independent concept restaurant, located in Warren, Rhode Island.Chef Allaire also finds time to give back to the community, mentoring many young cooks who have gone on to cook at some of the most notable establishments in the United States. He was active in The March of Dimes Signature Chef event, has participated numerous times in Taste of Newport and has cooked at several events at the prestigious James Beard House to benefit the Scholarship Fund.
Favorite Success Quote or Mantra
Be patient and you’ll persevere
Whats Your Purpose, or Your “WHY”?
- Pursuit of excellence
Your “It” Factors
- Pursuit of excellence.
- Noticing things as they happen.
- Having attention to detail.
Career Challenge or Failure
- Trying to juggle too many things at once.
- The banks decided to pull out on funding his new restaurant, because they felt chef was spread too thin.
- Get focused and have things under control before trying to expand.
1. What advice do you have for funding a restaurant?
- Set reasonable goals and have modest expectations.
- “You can do more with less.”
2. Success is so dependent on your people. Whats your advice on hiring, managing and retaining people.
- Trust first impressions and gut feelings.
- Do a stage before having someone work for you.
- Let people’s actions do their speaking.
- Be what you want your employees to be. Your employees are always looking to you to set the standard. Be a shining example of excellence.
3. What are some current challenges or industry challenges you see coming
- A never ending challenges is the constant pursuit of increasing proficiency.
4. How do you balance work and life?
- Whether its taking a couple days off or shutting down the restaurant for a week or two during the slow season, you need to make time for yourself.
5. Recommended book?
Chef Allaire’s recommendations:
CLICK HERE to get a FREE audio version of this Book
6. Recommended tool or technology?
Winston Control Vapor Ovens (c-vaps)– Become a more efficient, get amazing yield, more return on investment, and more profit in your restaurant with control vapor ovens.
7. With all the knowledge you now have, if you could go back in time and the past version of yourself one piece of business advice, what would it be and why?
- Be pragmatic and understand your guest.
- You need to cook for your guest.
8. What is one question you think should be added to this interview?
Q: What have you seen in your career that you wouldnt want to repeat?
A: Less waste.
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining today! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Restaurant Unstoppable Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Huge thanks to Chef Richard Allaire for joining me for another awesome episode. Until next time!