In this episode we discuss: How having a good brand is more than great guest, but also great employees and media coverage; The biggest challenge restaurant have when establishing their brand; the four pillars to developing a restaurant brand; when to start the branding processes; how to create your brand if you’re an existing restaurant; resources and tools you can leverage when developing your brand; and the mistakes to avoid when building your brand.
Karen Post is an entrepreneur, international branding authority, and author. She has been a monthly columnist for Fast Company and has appeared in business and industry venues around the world including Fox News, Bloomberg TV, the New York Times, Entrepreneur Magazine and Forbes. Her work has benefited both Fortune 500 companies and emerging businesses along with many industry associations and individual professionals. In 2013 along with fellow branding expert Jocelyn Ring she co-founded RestaurantBrandingRoadmap.com, an online destination where restauranteurs can learn how to build strong and distinct brands.
Favorite Success Quote or Mantra.
If you run like the rest, you too will be road kill.
Topics covered in this episode:
- The four pillars to building a brand:
- Brand essence
- Points of distinction or unique selling proposition.
- Restaurant personality
- Brand promise
- When to start the branding processes.
- How to create your brand if you’re an existing restaurant.
- Why its important to commit your brand to writing.
- The impact of doing the research before committing to your brand.
- Research availability of domain names before committing to a brand.
- Where restaurants fall short: doing things backwards.
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Michael Hyatt -Michael Hyatt’s thoughts on leading with purpose, personal productivity, book publishing, and social media.
- Evernote– Bring your life’s work together in one digital workspace. Evernote is the place to collect inspirational ideas, write meaningful words, and move your important.
- 99designs– Start Crowdsourcing Your Logo Now! Get designs fast. Own the winning design. Award winning. Save money.Types: Logo Design, Web Design, T-shirt Design, Flyer Design.
Hootsuite– Enhance your social media management with Hootsuite, the leading social media dashboard. Manage multiple networks and profiles and analytics
- Pixabay- Over 550000 high-quality photos, illustrations, and vector graphics. Free for commercial use. No attribution required.
- Canva– Amazing simple graphic designs
- Squarespace– Squarespace is the easiest way for anyone to create an exceptional website. Pages, galleries, blogs, e-commerce, domains, hosting, analytics, 24/7 support.
- The article Karen wrote on food photography
- Oxford Exchange<— recommended by Karen to check out as branding reference.
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining today! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Restaurant Unstoppable Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Huge thanks to Karen Post for joining me for another awesome episode. Until next time!