Favorite Success Quote or Mantra
“Where there is a will there is a way.” -English Proverb
Kath takes it further by saying, “Where there is a will, there are infinite ways.”
“Inch by inch, life is a cinch.” -Wolfgang Mieder
Do your best each day and if you treat other people as you want to be treated, things have a way of just working out… just join a TEAM because Together Each Achieves More!.. since many hands makes light the work. -John Heywood.
So believe in you and in every job to be done there is an element of fun!
Take a leap of faith.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.” -Dr. Seuss
Whats Your Purpose, or Your “WHY”?
Recognizing the power and influence food has had on her and wanting to share the same influence with others.
To create a community of like-minded people.
Your “It” Factors
- Being a numbers geek.
- The knowledge that you get what you give.
- Being a team player.
Career Challenge or Failure
- Times got tough for Kath and she was faced with the decision to pay her staff or to pay her taxes. She chose to pay her staff.
- Lesson learned: if you don’t have the cash flow to pay your staff you need to cut people or else you may be faced with having to cut everyone what the IRS shuts you down.
1. What advice do you have for funding a restaurant
- Do your homework.
- Have a plan.
- Don’t be afraid to ask.
- Have some skin in the game.
- During our chat, Kath mentioned Slow Money Principles
- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
2. Success is so dependent on your people. What’s your advice on hiring, managing and retaining people.
- Take the time to thank your staff. Do silly, small things that show them you appreciate them.
- Feed your staff well.
- Hire Character. Train skill.
3. What are some current challenges or industry challenges you see coming?
- Kath’s next big challenge is discovering what she’s going to do to stay fresh.
- She combats this challenge by sitting down, one-on-one, with her team members and simply asks questions around what they can do to make the operation better. You never know where you’ll get the next great idea and it most likely will come from within your four walls. You just have to listen.
4. How do you balance work and life?
- Create boundaries and don’t cross them.
- Make time for the things in life that are important.
5. Recommended books
CLICK HERE to get a FREE audio version of this Book
6. Recommended tool or technology?
7. With all the knowledge you have now if you could go back in time and give your past self one piece of business advice, What would it be and why?
Ask for money before you need it.
8. What is one question you think should be added to this interview?
Q: How do you take care of yourself?
A: Meditation, exercise, take quiet time and stay connect to your friends
Restaurant Blog: BlueMoodEvolution.com
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining today! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Restaurant Unstoppable Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Huge thanks to Kath Gallant for joining me for another awesome episode. Until next time!