Favorite Success Quote or Mantra.
“Take care of your people. They’ll take care of you.”
What’s Your Purpose, or Your “WHY”?
Supporting those who are talented and passionate about what they do.
Your “It” Factors
- Being a nice guy.
Career Challenge or Failure
When Macklin was working with Barbra Lynch Gruppo, they attempted to hold a massive fundraising event in Boston… during the deep months of winter.
Anyone who knows New England weather knows hosting a large event in the city during winter is a gamble. Snow storms can cripple a city, and that’s what happened. They invited guests from all over the country to attend and the city was impenetrable with snow.
The event wound up being a bust. The lesson learned is to not gamble w/mother nature. She’ll always win.
1. What advice do you have for funding a restaurant?
- Elicit money from people who care about you, and your success. Don’t get money from people who are strictly trying to invest.
2. Success is so dependent on your people. What’s your advice on hiring, managing and retaining people?
- People want to be affiliated with success and something truly inspiring; they want to be proud of where they work.
- Create something that people will be proud to work for.
- As far as maintaining staff: You need to provide an opportunity for growth.
3. What are some current challenges or industry challenges you see coming?
Knowing when to turn it off.
4. How do you balance work and life?
You need to add structure to your business. If you have structure and systems, you will then be able to delegate. Which will allow you to find time for life?
5. Recommended book?
CLICK HERE to get a FREE audio version of this Book
6. Recommended tool or technology?
RadioRA 2 – a wireless total home control system. This energy-saving system gives you the ability to adjust the amount of daylight and electric light (using light controls and automated shades) as well as temperature in a single room or throughout your whole home. The system also turns off standby power to small appliances when they’re not in use.
Reserve- A digital concierge in your pocket. A reservation system with the restaurateur in mind.
Other Resources mentioned in this episode:
Chef Branding Academy-we believes that every culinary professional should have a chance to create a chef brand. In today’s market, cooking skills are not enough…you need a brand! That’s why we give you the training you need to build a success culinary brand. From developing your brand identity to knowing how to prepare for media demos, all the way to maximizing social media, your investment in Chef Branding Academy™ is an investment in your future.
7. With all the knowledge you have now if you could go back in time and give your past self one piece of business advice, What would it be and why?
Go big or go home.
8. What is one question you think should be added to this interview?
Q: What is it like to be in a business where everyone you encounter is an informed critic?
A: people howYou need to be prepared. You need to be an educator and be willing to people howand why we operate the way to do.
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining today! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Restaurant Unstoppable Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Huge thanks to Jefferson Macklin for joining me for another awesome episode. Until next time!