Favorite Success Quote or Mantra.
“Do the thing you’re scared shitless of, and then you get the courage afterward.”
Whats Your Purpose, or Your “WHY”?
“To create a culture of caring that permeates beyond their walls.”
Your “It” Factors
- Trusting his gut.
- The ability to bounce back after failure.
Career Challenge or Failure
- Beckta got fired from a job because he struggled with what mattered to that company: culture. He was too focused on profit.
- Culture always trumps profit.
1. What advice do you have for funding a restaurant?
- Have courage, and don’t be afraid to ask for money.
- Crowd source; the old school way. Get a lot of people to make small contributions.
- Be conservative in your numbers so you can exceed expectations.
- Open with at least 20% operation capital.
2. Success is so dependent on your people. What’s your advice on hiring, managing, and retaining people?
- Hire for empathy; people who are aware of how other people feel.
- Hire people who care.
- Hire people who are engaging.
- Become the restaurant people want to work in.
3. What are some current challenges or industry challenges you see coming?
- Dealing with a market that is more competitive than ever before. You need to evolve and challenge the status quo weekly. You have to stay fresh.
4. How do you balance work and life?
- Tackle the most important things in life first and don’t quit until it’s done. Then focus on the little things.
5. Recommended book?
CLICK HERE to get a FREE audio version of this Book
6. Recommended tool or technology?
- Google. Simply google your guest’s name.
- Rez Plus- provides the restaurant with its own direct online reservation system, plus its own customer loyalty program, plus its own gift certificate program,
7. With all the knowledge you have now if you could go back in time and give your past self one piece of business advice, What would it be and why?
Do less– coach more.
8. What is one question you think should be added to this interview?
Q: Who is your mentor and what have they taught you recently?
A: Richard Crane: You can do anything you want, but you can’t does everything.
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining today! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Restaurant Unstoppable Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Huge thanks to Stephen Beckta for joining me for another awesome episode. Until next time!