In this episode with Salvador Sanchez and Allen Warford, we discuss saving and investing 10% of your income, visioning, planning, location selection, being lean, starting where you can and scaling up, being people focused, leaning on your community to get started, staying honest and transparent, forgiveness, going from working IN to working ON your business, the hiring process, planning your work, managing your ego, selecting a partner, creating culture, and creating structure.
Salvador Sanchez always wanted own his own business. So… he started saving and getting clarity on what that business would be. In 2013, After getting some experience in the world of coffee and cafes, Sanchez opened A Cup of Commonwealth. In 2016 Sanchez acquired magic bean roasters. At the end of 2016, Allen Warford joined the team as a partner and they have since expanded again with the opening of Chocolate Holler.
Favorite Success Quote or Mantra.
“Embrace community. Serve others. Create Culture.”
Qualify for funding. Get a $100 e-gift card.
Apply for up to $150,000 of funding through Kabbage, and you’ll get a $100 e-gift card when you qualify (1) with Kabbage:
– Apply securely in minutes
– Access a line of credit of up to $150,000 (2)
– Withdraw what you need, when you need it
– Only pay for what you use
Powerful tools to compete against big box stores. Fivestars brings similar technology used by Starbucks and Walgreens to local businesses to help you stay top of mind and drive 2x more customer visits. Get access to a leading rewards program, put promotions on AutoPilot, and track new signups, and return customers with Fivestars.
Which “it factor” habit, trait, or characteristic you believe most contributes to your success?
- Allen- Humble farm culture beginnings.
- Salvador- Work ethic. Seeing the talent in others.
What is your biggest weakness?
- Allen- delegation.
- Salvador-Asking for help.
What’s one question you ask or thing you look for during an interview?
- Look for body language.
- eye contact.
- Look for character.
What’s a current challenge? How are you dealing with it?
- Growing while maintaining culture.
Share one code of conduct or behavior you teach your team.
- Have the mentality to serve others.
What one uncommon standard of service you teach your staff.
- Do the unexpected. Go above and beyond.
Share an online resource or tool.
- Slack-When your team needs to kick off a project, hire a new employee, deploy some code, review a sales contract, finalize next year’s budget, measure an A/B test, plan your next office opening, and more, Slack has you covered.
What’s one book we must read to become a better person or restaurant owner?
GET THIS BOOK FOR FREE AT AUDIBLE.COM
What’s one piece of technology you’ve adopted in your restaurant and how has it influence operations?
- TeamUp- Teamup simplifies how groups share plans, schedule events, and communicate statuses. Color-code calendars for team members, jobs, projects, and bookable resources. Centrally managed with highly customizable role-specific access permissions.
- Square- designed to get your staff up and running quickly. Drag and drop items and categories, customize your items grid, and bring popular items front and center.
If you got the news that you’d be leaving this world tomorrow and all memories of you, your work, and your restaurants would be lost with your departure with the exception of 3 pieces of wisdom you could leave behind for the good of humanity, what would they be.
- Embrace Community
- Serve Others
- Create Culture
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining today! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Restaurant Unstoppable Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Huge thanks to Salvador and Allen for joining me for another awesome episode. Until next time!