In this episode with Chris Doody, we discuss:
- The significance of surrounding yourself the best.
- Giving people a shot.
- Having fun at work.
- Success being contagious.
- The power of recognizing your people by name.
- Giving loyalty before receiving loyalty.
- Having a partner that balances you well.
- Tips for taking over a failing restaurant.
- Letting cashflow determine you success.
- The importance of staying in your lane.
- What makes a successful fast-casual concept.
- Being proactive with the pre-launch “leg work”.
- The best marketing being “internal”.
- Culture being what holds your business together during growth.
- How your culture does not exist until it is on paper.
Growing up in his mothers restaurant, and being mentored by one of the best family names in the industry, the Brennan’s, Chris Doody spent most of his early years being groomed for greatness in hospitality. In 1992, with a degree in business, Doody, along side brother, Rick, started the Bravo Brio Restaurant Group, with remarkable success. 2008 Doody sold his share of the Bravo Brio restaurants and 2010 the first Piada Italian Street Food fast-casual concept was open. 8 years later they’ve grown the brand to 42 locations.
Favorite Success Quote or Mantra.
“The guest is always right.”
Gusto– “The best payroll, benefits, and HR for the small business owner.” It is time to let Gusto do the heavy lifting. Sign up today, and once you run your first payroll you’ll get 3 months FREE on Gusto. Click Here to get started
Which “it factor” habit, trait, or characteristic you believe most contributes to your success?
- Genuine Hospitality.
What is your biggest weakness?
- Being Patient.
What’s one question you ask or thing you look for during an interview?
- Eye contact.
What’s a current challenge? How are you dealing with it?
Share one code of conduct or behavior you teach your team.
- Discipline & Focus.
- Put it on paper.
What is one uncommon standard of service you teach your staff?
- Say thank you.
- Eye contact.
What’s one book we must read to become a better person or restaurant owner?
GET THIS BOOK FOR FREE AT AUDIBLE.COM
Share an online resource or tool.
- Facebook Analytics.
What’s one piece of technology you’ve adopted in your restaurant and how has it influence operations?
- They’ve built an internal platform.
If you got the news that you’d be leaving this world tomorrow and all memories of you, your work, and your restaurants would be lost with your departure with the exception of 3 pieces of wisdom you could leave behind for the good of humanity, what would they be?
- capital discipline.
- great food.
- genuine hospitality.
- Be stringent about the people you bring onto your team.
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining today! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Restaurant Unstoppable Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Huge thanks to Chris Doody and Matt Eisenacher for joining me for another awesome episode. Until next time!