Favorite Success Quote or Mantra.
“Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
Which “it factor” habit, trait, or characteristic you believe most contributes to your success?
- Claire: Organization and delegation
- Andrew: energy, drive, technology
What is your biggest weakness?
- Andrew: Patience.
- Claire: Learn from your mistakes
What is one piece of advice you have for leading others?
- Learn from your mistakes.
- Don’t expect them to do what you wouldn’t do yourself.
What’s one question you ask or thing you look for during an interview?
- Andrew: I will examine 3 things- I want to see if people have a little spring in their step, a smile on their face, and have an energy about them. Those three things are prerequisites.
- Claire: You are hiring someone for hospitality, so you can train someone to pour a cup of coffee, but you can’t train the hospitality gene, where they have warmth and kindness about them to serve others.
- Schedule a stage. Schedule time to work one-on-one before fully committing to employment
What’s a current challenge? How are you dealing with it?
- Coffee shop moving in next door.
- Building your brand and loyalty and it won’t matter who moves in next door.
- Stay fresh. Keep your customers interested with refurbishment.
What’s one thing (besides food) your restaurant does well and separates you from other restaurants?
- They have a unique selling proposition; cakes.
What’s one book we must read to become a better person or restaurant owner?
GET THIS BOOK FOR FREE AT AUDIBLE.COM
What’s one piece of technology you’ve adopted in your restaurant and how has it influence operations?
- ordoo– a digital gateway to order and pay in advance at your favorite cafes, coffee shops, lunch spots and bars – beating the queue and earning loyalty …
- Pelican Pi – a unique new solution, designed to provide you with total … Established for 25 years, Pelican is a market-leading procurement specialist.
- BlueCart.com– a free and simple ordering tool built to strengthen the relationship between restaurant and suppliers.
With all the knowledge you have now if you could go back in time and give your past self one piece of business advice, What would it be and why?
- Instead of buying into a franchise, use that money to learn all you can about the industry and open your own place.
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining today! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Restaurant Unstoppable Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Huge thanks to Andrew and Claire Bowen for joining me for another awesome episode. Until next time!