David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests, trained hundreds of servers and has been named Kansas City’s best server. He is the author of Tips2: Tips for Improving Your Tips. Additionally, David launched The Hospitality Formula Network, a series of sites designed to address a variety of topics related to the restaurant industry.
Favorite Success Quote or Mantra.
“The answer is yes. Now, whats the question?”
Which “it factor” habit, trait, or characteristic you believe most contributes to your success?
What is your biggest weakness?
- Getting distracted by the small things and missing the big picture.
What is one piece of advice you have for leading others?
- In order to lead you have to be on the floor, willing to do anything you expect others to do. When they see that, they will follow.
Whats one question you ask or thing you look for during an interview?
- A question to ask:
- What is your favorite restaurant in town? What your favorite thing to eat there? Tell me about it.
- Create a reason why people want to work for you.
- A question to ask:
Whats a current challenge? How are you dealing with it?
- Finding good people.
- The best way to combat this is by creating an environment of difference.
Whats one thing (besides food) your restaurant does well that separates you from other restaurants?
- Create an awesome environment.
Whats one book we must read to become a better person or restaurant owner?
GET THIS BOOK FOR FREE AT AUDIBLE.COM
Whats one piece of technology you’ve adopted in your restaurant and how has it influence operations?
- Typsy.com– Typsy is an online training platform for the hospitality industry. Watch our short, fun video courses and take your skills to a higher level.
With all the knowledge you have now, if you could go back in time and give your past self one piece of business advice, What would it be and why?
- Get a month ahead.
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining today! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Restaurant Unstoppable Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Huge thanks to David Hayden for joining me for another awesome episode. Until next time!