In this episode, we discuss growing your company by distributing loyalty and allegiance to your team, providing feedback to your team members, why you should have scorecard for all your managers and team members, how success comes from hiring good people then developing them into amazing coaches and leaders, surrounding yourself with specialist, why servant leaders make the best managers, why bad experiences can be learning opportunities too, the power of thinking outside the box and diversify your business, the role of market research during expansion, the benefits of the entrepreneurial approach VS the corporate approach, why fast-casual is the way of the future, and the benefits of fast-casual to an operator.
With over approximately 40 years of experience in hospitality, Bill Post got his humbles start at Levy Restaurants back in 1978. Today and multiple businesses later, Bill is the founder and CEO of WJP Restaurant Group a multi-dimensional restaurant company with locations scattered about the country and Founder of WJPost Restaurant Advisors, offering consultancy to forward-thinking owners and entrepreneurs of small to medium sized restaurant companies.
Favorite Success Quote or Mantra
“Winning customers one at a time, not just our external customers, but our inner customers as well.”
Hospitality courses from the world’s best. Find short courses. Skill up. Become an expert. You’re the average of the 5 peoples you surround yourself with, now start surrounding yourself with the best in our industry.
Over 45,000 independent operators since 1998 have joined RestaurantOwner.com to improve their business skills, leadership capabilities and implement effective systems in their restaurant.
Career Challenge or Failure
Bill has had failures in the past mismatching a concept with the demographic. You’ve got to do the market research to ensure the community is going to embrace what you’re doing.
Other Resources Mentioned:
- The Blog Post Bill said he’d write for us:
Which “it factor” habit, trait, or characteristic you believe most contributes to your success?
- Being personal and approachable, and human.
- Leading others who have gone one to their own success.
What is your biggest weakness?
- Being too nieve trusting.
What is one piece of advice you have for leading others?
- The coach makes the difference.
- adapting your leadership skills to the uniqueness of each of your team members
What’s one question you ask or thing you look for during an interview?
- Character, honesty, and eye contract hold more weight than experience.
- Ask the following question:
- What is the most important human invention?
What’s a current challenge? How are you dealing with it?
- The work ethic of younger people.
- Deal with it by being a better coach.
What’s one thing (besides food) your restaurant does well and separates you from other restaurants?
- creating long lasting bonds with team members.
What’s one book we must read to become a better person or restaurant owner?GET THIS BOOK FOR FREE AT AUDIBLE.COM
What’s one piece of technology you’ve adopted in your restaurant and how has it influence operations?
- Menu engineering.
- Toast POS– an all-in-one POS and restaurant management software with powerful tools to dramatically cut costs, drive revenue, and engage customers. Toast is built to make tableside ordering quick and easy. With efficiency in mind, servers can offer digital receipts, splitting checks is a breeze, and credit cards are secure at the swipe.
With all the knowledge you have now if you could go back in time and give your past self one piece of business advice, What would it be and why?
- Follow your own self and dreams.
- Get into a company of great leaders
What is one question you think should be added to this interview?
- Be ready to answer that question 😉
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining today! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Restaurant Unstoppable Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Huge thanks to Bill Post for joining me for another awesome episode. Until next time!