Petra Polakovicova moved to San Francisco from Slovakia, Europe, when she was 18 years old. She had her first taste of American restaurants while working as a food runner at the illustrious Palace Hotel. Working with great Sommeliers and their award winning wine lists has always been a great source of education and inspiration for her. Her desires to be formally accomplished in the wine profession eventually lead her to attend the Professional Culinary Institute and become a Certified Sommelier in 2007. Following her certification, she joined EPIC Steak’s opening team, as an Assistant Sommelier and since June 2009 she been the Wine Director at EPIC Steak.
Favorite Success Quote or Mantra.
“Knowledge is powerful.”
Career Challenge or Failure.
Petra had the bad habit of saying “yes” too often. Eventually, she took on too much, got overwhelmed and burnt out. Know your limitations and know when to ask for help. You need to make time for yourself.
Which “it factor” habit, trait, or characteristic you believe most contributes to your success?
- Desire to learn.
What is your biggest weakness?
- Her advice to overcome: tackle big projects first.
What is one piece of advice you have for leading others?
- Lead by example.
Whats one question or thing that you look for doing an interview?
- Look for a passion for hospitality.
- You can feel it when someone has good hospitality. Trust your gut.
Whats a current challenge?
- Procrastinating on getting her Master Sommelier Certificate.
Whats one thing (besides food) your restaurant does well and separates you from other restaurants?
- The way they take care of their team.
Whats one book we must read to become a better person or restaurant owner?
GET THIS BOOK FOR FREE AT AUDIBLE.COM
Whats one piece of technology you’ve adopted in your restaurant and how has it influence operations?
- Avero Slingshot – is a cloud-based, SaaS analytics platform that turns mounds of data into clear, simple, actionable insights. Designed specifically for the hospitality industry, Avero Slingshot takes the guesswork out of decision making and helps you with restaurant cost control and shows you ways to increase restaurant sales.
With all the knowledge you have now, if you could go back in time and give your past self one piece of business advice, What would it be and why?
- Don’t procrastinate. Do something about it now, whatever it is.
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining today! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Restaurant Unstoppable Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Huge thanks to Petra Polakovicova for joining me for another awesome episode. Until next time!