Hospitality courses from the world’s best. Find short courses. Skill up. Become an expert.
Over 45,000 independent operators since 1998 have joined RestaurantOwner.com to improve their business skills, leadership capabilities and implement effective systems in their restaurant.
Favorite Success Quote or Mantra.
“Never give up”
In this episode we discuss:
- Discovering what you’re good at
- Shareing his passion for wine. Specifically, sharing new and different types of wine with friends at parties.
- Choose to excel: don’t just show up be amazing.
- Don’t settle for being ordinary, be extraordinary!
- Why it pays to be a value-driven restaurant.
- How to tell when a restaurant is a failing restaurant: When your guest leave and no one says goodbye.
- Living your values and the culture you set for your team.
- Understanding that, “Nobody follows anyone that they’re not inspired by.”
- Why great leaders create leaders.
- How to create leaders that think for themselves.
Career Challenge or Failure
- Randy experienced the dangers that come from becoming too big.
- Behind every great restaurant is a great person. If you become too big you dilute the greatness, the thing that made you special in the first place.
- Don’t focus on being big, focus on being even better at what made you great in the first place.
Which “it factor” habit, trait, or characteristic you believe most contributes to your success?
- Always question yourself.
- Asking himself, “What should I be doing now?”
- Staying innovative
What is your biggest weakness?
- Blinded by the drive to be great.
What is one piece of advice you have for leading others?
- If something is going wrong it is almost always your fault.
What’s one question you ask or thing you look for during an interview?
- Look for intelligence.
- Find out how they’re going to get to work.
What’s one thing (besides food) your restaurant does well and separates you from other restaurants?
What’s one book we must read to become a better person or restaurant owner?
GET THIS BOOK FOR FREE AT AUDIBLE.COM
What’s one piece of technology you’ve adopted in your restaurant and how has it influence operations?
- Open Table– OpenTable increases your profits by helping you seat more diners, take more reservations, and turn casual customers into regulars. We reach guests when they’re deciding where to dine. And we enable prompt and attentive service so they come back.
With all the knowledge you have now if you could go back in time and give your past self one piece of business advice, What would it be and why?
- Be more patient.
- Think about what you do and say before you do and say them.
What is one question you think should be added to this interview?
- Q: What do you do when you know exactly who you are?
- A: Get it on paper in the form of core values, principles, visions and missions. Then LIVE IT!
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining today! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Restaurant Unstoppable Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Huge thanks to Randy Caparoso for joining me for another awesome episode. Until next time!