Favorite Success Quote or Mantra
“Know your own velocity.”
Whats Your Purpose, or Your “WHY”?
Russell can’t put his thumb on one thing that has drawn him to this industry. There are so many aspects that attack him to his work. He loves it all!
Your “It” Factors
- The ability to visualize goals
- Desire to be the best wherever he is
- Know when to keep his head down and work hard
- Knowing when to speak up.
Career Challenge or Failure
- Trust is important. You should strive to have trust among your team, but you don’t want to be blinded by trust.
- Russell trusted the owners of a bar he was managing.
- When money was being stolen, no one could figure out who was stealing it.
- Russell lost his job over this matter.
- Years later he learned that it was one of the owners who was taking the money. Russell never even thought to consider that one of the owners could have been behind the stolen money.
1. What advice do you have for funding a restaurant?
- Have the right team. When you’re raising money, the people giving you the cash are going to look at your team. Don’t skimp.
2. Success is so dependent on your people. Whats your advice on hiring, managing and retaining people.
- Hire the person that is most able to lie to you… Ya, it sounds funny, but you’ll have to listen to Russell’s explanation.
- To keep good people on your team:
- encourage them.
- make sure you’re hearing their opinions and that they know their opinions matter.
- give them the opportunity for growth.
- Ask your team members, “What would you do?”
3. What are some current challenges or industry challenges you see coming?
- An influx of celebrity mixologist smearing the good name of the trade.
4. How do you balance work and life?
- You need to have things, hobbies, and friends outside of work.
5. Recommended book?
Cocktail <— Movie Russell was talking about early in the episode.
CLICK HERE to get a FREE audio version of this Book
6. Recommended tool or technology?
Revention– “I’m putting them in all my bars. They’re the best POS on the market, and they’ve expanded into other areas like online ordering and mobile ordering. I would definitely invest in Revention, it’s a system that doesn’t crash and it’s really easy to use.” –Russell Davis
7. With all the knowledge you have now if you could go back in time and give your past self one piece of business advice, What would it be and why?
Don’t forget to check out Russell and Chef Duffy’s upcoming podcast: The Road Rash Podcast.
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining today! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Restaurant Unstoppable Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Huge thanks to Russell Davis for joining me for another awesome episode. Until next time!