In this episode we talk about doing something great instead of something big, extending trust before receiving it, surrounding yourself with great people, and hiring people that make you laugh.
Scott Wise is the President & CEO of a Pots & Pans Production, the parent management company for Scotty’s Brewhouse, Thr3e Wise Men Brewing Company, Scotty’s Brew Club and Scotty’s Dawghouse. With 15 restaurants in Indiana, 4 more being built in Florida, Illinois, Ohio and Plainfield, Indiana, the Brewhouse team has been busy.
Scotty is well known as a community philanthropist, consistently committing his time and effort along with monetary and food donations to causes in every city in which his restaurants reside.
Favorite Success Quote or Mantra.
“The true character of a person is not shown when things are going well, but when their back is against the wall.”
Career Challenge or Failure
Opening a second location. You can’t do enough planning and market research. Just because your first restaurant worked out, doesn’t mean your second restaurant will be successful.
Which “it factor” habit, trait, or characteristic you believe most contributes to your success?
- Staying grounded and humble.
What is your biggest weakness?
- Overextending yourself.
What is one piece of advice you have for leading others?
- being honest open and true to others.
- You can ask anything of people if you’re willing to work right there with them and be open and honest.
What’s one question you ask or thing you look for during an interview?
- Ask them to share a joke. Are they quick and witty? Can they make you laugh?
What’s a current challenge?
- The type of employees that are available today.
What’s one thing (besides food) your restaurant does well and separates you from other restaurants?
- Their beer.
- They have fun with their menu. There is humor
What’s one book we must read to become a better person or restaurant owner?
GET THIS BOOK FOR FREE AT AUDIBLE.COM
What’s one piece of technology you’ve adopted in your restaurant and how has it influence operations?
- Table-up– Powering a restaurant’s host stand, loyalty program, mobile app, online ordering, gift cards, and mobile payments – seamlessly integrated with their existing POS
- Relevant Mobile– Relevant is an all-in-one mobile solution. that connects brands to customers. We’
re on a mission to win hearts, minds and smartphones.
With all the knowledge you have now if you could go back in time and give your past self one piece of business advice, What would it be and why?
- Don’t grow too quickly. Take time to enjoy the journey and develop yourself and make sure you’re in a good position to expand.
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining today! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Restaurant Unstoppable Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Huge thanks to Scotty Wise for joining me for another awesome episode. Until next time!