In this episode, we discuss creating a restaurant that is an extension of who you are, what can happen when you surround yourself with the right people, embracing technology, and why you just need to keep doing the work!
In 2015, a terrace house in South Melbourne that was formerly home to a burlesque club was overtaken by Shaun Quade and Mr. Harry.They set about creating a venue with the bones and soul of a restaurant but with a theatrical and multisensory approach. With a deep respect for produce and technique, Lume’s team share an unrelenting desire to experiment.
They honor tradition, yet at the same time are hell-bent on building their own. Over the past 6 months, things have accelerated rapidly. In November they were named go-me-o Gault Millau Australian Restaurant of the Year and received their second Hat. They also headlined Taste of Melbourne festival, Good Food Month and Melbourne Food and Wine Festival; the quote “big three in Australia.”
Hospitality courses from the world’s best. Find short courses. Skill up. Become an expert.
Over 45,000 independent operators since 1998 have joined RestaurantOwner.com to improve their business skills, leadership capabilities and implement effective systems in their restaurant.
Favorite Success Quote or Mantra.
“You can’t fail if you haven’t stopped trying yet.”
“Just keep going. Whatever it cost. Keep going.”
Career Challenge or Failure
Which “it factor” habit, trait, or characteristic you believe most contributes to your success?
- Hustles. Just doing the work.
What is your biggest weakness?
- Finding the separation between life and work.
What is one piece of advice you have for leading others?
- Be true to who you are.
What’s one question you ask or thing you look for during an interview?
- Running Myers-Briggs tests.
- Finding people who are the right fit for their culture.
What’s a current challenge? How are you dealing with it?
- Integrating technology
What’s one thing (besides food) your restaurant does well and separates you from other restaurants?
- The multi-sensory stuff (a.k.a. the weird shit)
What’s one book we must read to become a better person or restaurant owner?
GET THIS BOOK FOR FREE AT AUDIBLE.COM
What’s one piece of technology you’ve adopted in your restaurant and how has it influence operations?
- Tock– Tock is revolutionary software built to fundamentally change the way restaurants run their business.Tock is an entirely different kind of software company. We have restaurant people working on tech and tech people working in restaurants. Tock is faster, more compatible, always up to date, and constantly improving. Restaurants have used crappy software for too long. Get ready for Tock.
- Trello– Trello lets you work more collaboratively and get more done.Trello’s boards, lists, and cards enable you to organize and prioritize your projects in a fun, flexible and rewarding way.
- Typeform-Build beautiful, engaging, and conversational online forms, surveys, quizzes, landing pages, and much more with Typeform. Try it FREE & without signing up!
- Canva– makes design simple for everyone. Create designs for Web or print: blog graphics, presentations, Facebook covers, flyers, posters, invitations and so much more.
- xero– is the QuickBooks alternative. Use Xero accounting software to manage invoicing, bank reconciliation, bookkeeping & more. Start a free trial today
- google drive – get access to files anywhere through secure cloud storage and file backup for your photos, videos, files and more with Google Drive.
- Nimble CRM– Nimble is the only solution to offer small businesses the best features of high-end CRM systems combined with the power of social media.
- Marketing4Restaurants Podcast– We specialize in helping Restaurant owners to find new customers & turn them into repeat customers with our free marketing tools.
With all the knowledge you have now if you could go back in time and give your past self one piece of business advice, What would it be and why?
- Just keep pushing on and forward
- If things don’t work out, just start again
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining today! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Restaurant Unstoppable Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Huge thanks to Shaun and Veronica for joining me for another awesome episode. Until next time!